The recommended servings of fruits and vegetables per day are 5 servings, 2 fruits and 3 vegetables. Here are tips to have meals with fruit and veggies. Sometimes it is hard to fit in all 5 servings every day, but increasing your fruit and vegetable intake can help with weight maintenance, increase your fiber intake, and of course help balance out your diet! Here are some ideas for how to incorporate fruits and vegetables at every meal!
Ways to increase fruits and vegetables:
1. Add steamed broccoli or sautéed spinach to scrambled eggs
2. Add pumpkin puree to pancake mix
3. Try a fruit smoothie, you could even add spinach or kale!
4. Add berries to oatmeal.
5. Try a vegetable omelet with cheese.
1. Add spinach or spring mix to a turkey sandwich
2. Add spinach and a slice of tomato to a grilled cheese sandwich
3. Make a veggie wrap
4. Add cooked peas into your favorite pasta or try these recipes:
Spinach Tuna Pasta
Roasted Veggie Pesto Pasta
1. Add vegetables in a quesadilla. Try our Mayhem to Mealtime Recipe for Grilled Chicken Quesadillas with vegetables.
2. Add sautéed onions and bell peppers or spinach to spaghetti sauce
3. Add vegetables to pizza
4. Add diced tomatoes and sweet potatoes to your favorite chili recipe and even corn
5. Add broccoli and mushrooms to an Asian stir-fry. Graphic from our Taste the Sweet Rebellion Cookbook/Workbook.
6. Try making sweet potato fries or carrot fries
7. Use zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash instead of pasta.
8. Add steamed broccoli or peas to mac and cheese
For more ways to add fruit and veggies to your meals, take a look at our newest book.
Click here for more information on
Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating
What are some sneaky ways you add fruits and vegetables to meals?
We are here to help. Contact us for more information using this form below.
Breakfast for dinner is always fun with the kids and we do pizza a lot too. They are getting to be the age that I can allow them to use the cook top, it makes cooking/baking fun!