Jack-O-Lantern Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell pepper orange
- 1 lb ground turkey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes canned
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 1 cup cheese shredded
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the tops off the peppers, set aside. Scoop our the seeds and as much membrane as possible.
- With a paring knife, cut a jack-o-lantern face into the side of each pepper. Place each pepper cut side up in an 8 inch square baking pan.
- In a large skillet, brown the turkey, breaking up with a spoon as it cooks. Add salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin. Remove from skillet.
- In the same skillet, add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent. Add tomatoes and let heat through.
- Add the turkey back to the skillet, along with rice and 1/2 of the cheese.
- Fill the peppers with turkey mixture and top each pepper with 2 Tbsp of cheese, and place lid of pepper on top.
- Pour 1/4 cup of water into the bottom of the pan. Cover with aluminum foil, and place pan in oven. Let bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue to cook for 20-30 minutes, until soft.
Nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors.
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.