This time of year, as the leaves change color and the air begins to get crisp, I always try my best to slow down and take it all in. Although the first day of fall was weeks ago in September, it is clear that the first signs of autumn are appearing. In Maryland especially, the scenery during the fall is one of the most amazing sights of the year. The leaves begin to change to beautiful shades of orange, red, and yellow; the air gets a chill to it, only hinting to the winter months to come; pumpkin farms are in full bloom with tons of activities to bring you back to your childhood years. To get the full effect of this season, it is important to slow down, if only for a few minutes a day, and take it all in. Here are some great things to do this season to truly take advantage of the next few months and to enjoy autumn in your own way!
If you have a few minutes:
- Take a walk: Un-plug your phone, step away from the computer, and take a walk outside. Notice the colors of the trees, the feeling of a slight breeze, and the smell that signals the change in season. This is a great way to de-stress, practice self-care, and just notice the beauty of fall.
- Grab a pumpkin spice latte: I don’t know about you, but it isn’t fall until I’ve had my first pumpkin-something of the season! So stop at your local coffee shop to grab a latte, or buy your favorite fall flavored coffee and make your own!
- Reminisce: I always love to look through old photos of my childhood during this time of year. My family always takes a trip to the pumpkin farm to get gourds and cider (yes, even today!)
If you have a few hours:
- Make some baked goods: Check out Pinterest for some great recipes for festive baked goods!
- Paint or carve a pumpkin: I know my roommates and I plan on carving pumpkins this year and I always loved painting them as a kid! Get everyone involved, you’re never too old to carve a pumpkin!
- Take a hike!: Places like Great Rock look amazing this time of year and can make for a very relaxing form of movement.
If you have a day:
- Take a trip to a pumpkin farm: These days, pumpkin farms have so much more to do than just pick pumpkins! You have go on a hayride, make apple cider, walk through a corn maze, and even ride ponies! These are great things to do with your little ones (or big ones) and a very festive way to spend your weekend. Click here to find some in your area.
- Have a bonfire: Doesn’t sitting by a warm fire just sound like the best thing ever right now? I can guarantee you wont regret it!
- Try something new!: Check your local newspaper and look out in your area for new traditions to start with your family this fall!
- Visit a local farmer’s market. What do you love to do in the fall? Let us know!
How does nutrition play a role in your fall? Give us a call today at 301-474-2499 so we can help you reach your goals! Or visit our contact us page.
Rebecca Bitzer loves to empower Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs) and their clients. Co-author of Welcome to the Rebelution: Seven steps to the nutrition counseling practice of your dreams and Taste the Sweet Rebellion: Rebel against dieting.