Spinach and Bacon Frittata
Frittata is basically an Italian crustless quiche. You can use this quick, easy recipe for breakfast or dinner. Also, you can vary the ingredients depending on your taste preferences and leftovers.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 4 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- 8 oz. mushroom (any variety)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 egg
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese grated
- 1 cup spinach sautéed
- 12 chives (or 3 scallions)
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Place a large oven safe skillet or sauté pan over medium heat.
When the pan is hot, add the oil and onion. Cook until translucent about 3 minutes.
Add the mushroom, spinach and bacon and continue to sauté, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Beat the eggs vigorously with a fork or a whisk, then add to the skillet, along with the gruyere and chives/scallions, if using.
Place in oven and bake until the eggs have set, about 20 minutes.
Let cool and slice into 4 portions and top with more chives/ cheese if you like.
REBEL Tip: This is a quick recipe to make any day of the week. Prepare everything the night before, and all you have to do is cook the frittata the next morning. Serve with toast and fruit. You can customize the recipe to your liking, substitute the mushrooms, sausage and goat cheese for any of these combinations:
- 8 spears of cooked, chopped asparagus and 2 oz chopped smoked salmon
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes, ¼ cup chopped olives and ½ cup crumbled feta
- 1 cup sautéed zucchini, 1 cup ricotta and 8-10 chopped mint leaves
- 1 link andouille sausage and 1/4 cup goat cheese