What are the Healthy Eating Principles?
Dietitian, Dana Magee, discusses the the Pillars of Healthy Eating AKA Healthy Eating Principles, which are the REBEL guidelines for healthy, happy eating. The pillars include nutrition, moderation, balance, variety, and flexibility. Check out this short video to learn how they all work together to form a balanced lifestyle!
Pillars of Healthy Eating
How can I eat normally? What does that mean to me?
- essential for energy level, staving off disease, to help you feel great
- everything fits, even vegetables in moderation
- need to have favorite foods included, balance out carbohydrate, fat and protein
- need to feel energized and satisfied
- brown rice, broccoli and chicken every day for dinner does not make a healthy diet
- eating the same thing every day prevents you from getting a wide array of vitamins and minerals
- enjoyment is also important, healthy eating is not devoid of happiness and pleasure
- your plan must be sustainable for the long run
- your plan also must allow for celebratory eating like at weddings and on holidays
Remember, healthy eating is not dieting.
If you are dieting, you are probably not getting all the necessary pillars of good nutrition and healthy eating.
For many more video tips, take a look at these videos that feature Dana Magee, RD:
For more tips on how to Taste the Sweet Rebellion, check out our new workbook here! If you would like to work with one of our REBEL Dietitians, click here or call (301) 474-2499 to make an appointment!
UPDATE: We have actually moved away from our REBEL dietitian branding and have moved to a more welcoming Health at Every Size and Intuitive Eating mindset which is illustrated in our NEWEST book called
Blog updated December 2019.
Dana uses her advanced training in functional nutrition and food sensitivities to help her clients love and trust food again as they heal from years of painful symptoms that have dominated their lives. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Food Sensitivities Survival Guide.