Tasty Zucchini Hash Browns with Oven and Air Fryer Instructions
Baked Zucchini Hash Browns are the perfect way to add vegetables to your breakfast, lunch or dinner! Try these zucchini hash browns tonight!
We see zucchini recipes everywhere these days, from zoodles to zucchini fries, and now zucchini hash browns! Why is this? No one loves giving up those conventional sides that we grew up having mom make, such as tater tots and hash browns, but sometimes our body just doesn’t agree with our mind. We would never tell you to completely cut out a food that you love, and there is a place for those tasty potatoes! However, maybe you’re looking for ways to increase nonstarchy vegetables in your meals, or maybe you need a lower carbohydrate option.
That is why we have designed this fun zucchini hash brown recipe!
The reason zucchini has become a popular substitution for higher glycemic foods such as pasta and potatoes is because they are high fiber, low calorie vegetables packed with nutrients such as Vitamin B6, riboflavin, folate, potassium, manganese, Vitamin C and K.
Incorporating zucchini can help with insulin resistance, blood sugar management, gut health, as well as the maintenance of a healthy heart.
These zucchini hash browns can truly be served any way you would serve your conventional hash browns – but a few of our favorite recommendations include:
– Poached eggs over zucchini hash
– Lox zucchini hash
– Hash brown mozzarella avocado grilled cheese
– Veggie hash casserole or quiche
– Zucchini hash brown skillet
– Zucchini hash brown mini frittatas
Favorite Zucchini Recipes
For other recipes using zucchini, we have plenty. Here are some of our favorites that are similar to baked zucchini hash browns:
Favorite Zoodle (Zucchini Noodles) Recipes
Plus don’t forget about all of our zoodle recipes if you have plenty of zucchini in your garden:
Sesame ginger tofu with zoodles
And for even more zucchini recipes that are dietitian approved by our team of culinary dietitians, take a look at our recipes here.
Baked Zucchini Hash Browns
- 2.5-3 cups zucchini shredded, about 2 large or 4 small zucchini
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/3 cup chives
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- cooking spray
Air Fryer Instructions (preferred)
- Set air fryer to 400° F.
- Use a box grater to coarsely grate the zucchini and onion. Place grated zucchini and onion in a colander or fine mesh sieve and sprinkle with salt. Place colander into a bowl to collect liquid. The salt will draw moisture out of the zucchini. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Discard the liquid that has collected in bowl and press out as much of liquid as possible. Take zucchini and onion mixture and place into a clean kitchen towel and twist tightly. Squeeze the towel and drain as much liquid as possible into the bowl or sink. Discard all liquid.
- Place the strained zucchini mixture back into the large bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Form 8 patties out of the mixture and place on a plate. Spray the basket of air fryer with cooking spray and place as many patties as will fit. Cook for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Continue with rest of patties until they are all cooked. Serve warm.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Place a baking sheet in the oven as it heats.
- Prepare zucchini mixture as directed above.
- Form 8 patties out of the mixture and place on a plate. Remove heated baking sheet from oven and spray with cooking spray. Place patties onto baking sheet and press gently. Return baking sheet to oven and bake for about 15 minutes, until underside is golden and crispy. Flip hash brown patties and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes. Serve warm.
If you need more recipe inspiration, check out our recipe index! There’s a great feature to sort recipes for specific conditions or dietary restrictions!
Nutrition info is approximate and may contain errors.
-Blog reviewed and updated by Kaitlin Eckstein MPH, RD, LD March 2023
Whether you are a novice in the kitchen, or a seasoned chef, Dietitian Klara will work with you to help you reach your nutrition goals. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating, Cooking with Diabetes and Cooking with Food Sensitivities Guide.