Dairy Free Broccoli "Cheese" Soup
- 1 cup cashews raw
- 1/2 onion large, diced
- 1 potato peeled and diced
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup cashew cream
- 2 cups chicken broth or veggie broth for vegetarian option, low sodium
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 cups broccoli florets chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- In a medium pot, combine cashews, potato, onion, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes until softened.
- Remove from heat and transfer contents of pot to a blender. Add 1 cup of water (or more if needed) and blend to reach a thick creamy consistency.
- Place 1 cup of the cashew cream back into the pot. Save the remaining cashew cream for another recipe.
- Add broth and 2 tbsp nutritional yeast to the pot and stir to combine. Add broccoli and carrot and cook over medium heat until broccoli and carrot are softened, about 20 minutes. You may need to add more water or broth if it gets too thick.
- Transfer soup to the blender and blend on low, leaving some larger flecks of broccoli and carrot. Return to pot to keep warm, or serve immediately.
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.