Is the Italian grinder TikTok sandwich worth making?
In my opinion, oh yeah. The italian grinder TikTok sandwich is delicious and the perfect sandwich combination. Melty cheese on warm toasty bread. Layers of your favorite deli meats. And the salad. Oh, this salad is amazing. The dressing is simple and delicious. My favorite part though? The thinly sliced red onion and pepperoncinis give it a tang that is irresistible. And that’s coming from someone who NEVER touches the pepperoncinis in the pizza box or restaurant Greek salads.
This sandwich can be adapted for different health conditions if need be. If you’re concerned about saturated fat because of high cholesterol, for example, then stick with leaner meats like turkey, ham, turkey pepperoni, etc. You can also use reduced fat or smart balance mayo to reduce the saturated fat content.
If you’re worried about sodium for high blood pressure, an Italian grinder can seem like a sodium bomb. Understandable! Stick with low sodium deli meats (or freshly sliced roasted chicken/turkey), use swiss cheese because it’s low sodium, and omit the salt from the salad dressing.
TikTok Italian Grinder Sandwich
Italian Grinder Sandwich
- 4 club rolls or desired bread
- 1/2 lb deli turkey
- 4 oz proscuitto
- 4 oz salami
- 8 oz sliced cheese provolone, muenster, etc
- 1/4 cup parmesan grated
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 1 head iceburg lettuce shredded
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini peppers thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice rolls and lay out onto baking sheet. Top with slices of cheese. Bake until cheese is melted.
- On one half of the bread, layer turkey slices and salami. On the other half, place the proscuitto. Bake until meats are heated through. Remove from oven and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together mayo, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Add lettuce, onion, and pepperoncinis and toss to combine.
- On one half of the sandwich, layer on tomato slices and a hearty layer of the salad. Close the sandwich and enjoy!
Looking for more sandwich ideas? We’ve rounded up our favorite sandwich trends! Check out the TikTok Sandwich Trends blog for more!
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.