Klara's Homemade Granola
- 3 cups oats
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp salt regular
- 1 cup sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup coconut large, unsweetened flakes
- 1 cup dried fruit add after baking
- 1 tsp spices cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder add before baking
- 1 egg white, reduce oil by 2-4 Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Measure oats, almonds, seeds, salt and spices into a large bowl. If you're using cocoa or coconut, add now.
- Add honey, oil, and egg white (if using) and stir together.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spread granola mixture. Bake for 30-45 minutes. Stop when granola is lightly brown and toasted.
- Let the granola cool completely in the pan stir in the fruit. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
The nuts in Klara’s Homemade Granola is one of the healthy ingredients.
It seems like everyone has an opinion on how “healthy” nuts are. Some claim that nuts are a miracle food, while others warn against their high fat content.
So, what’s the deal with nuts?
Well, we think that nuts are an excellent source of unsaturated fat and fiber. They’re delicious and contain nutrients like vitamin E and potassium.
Here are our tips for mindfully enjoying nuts:
1) Buy low-sodium. Many packaged pre-roasted nuts can be high in sodium which can be unhealthy for people with hypertension or high blood pressure. Buying low sodium nuts will still allow you to get the health benefits and delicious taste of nuts.
2) Be mindful of serving sizes. Despite their excellent nutrition profile, nuts aren’t exactly the most filling snack… One serving of almonds is about 1/4 of a cup, which doesn’t look like much! We recommend that clients eat 1 serving of nuts with fruits, veggies, or popcorn to round out their snack.
Do you like snacking on nuts?
If you like this granola recipe, you will also like Almond Granola Bars.
Please let us know what you think of Klara’s Homemade Granola recipe in the comments below.
Nutrition info is approximate and may contain errors.
Whether you are a novice in the kitchen, or a seasoned chef, Dietitian Klara will work with you to help you reach your nutrition goals. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating, Cooking with Diabetes and Cooking with Food Sensitivities Guide.