Low FODMAP Cornbread
What goes better with a fall meal than some low FODMAP cornbread? We have a delicious and easy recipe that makes a great addition to any meal year-round!
What do I need to make low FODMAP Cornbread?
- Gluten-Free Flour
- Baking soda
- Milk- make sure it is lactose-free!
- Vegetable Oil
How do I make low FODMAP Cornbread?
The trick with cornbread is to NOT overmix the batter. Pair that with folding the egg whites into the batter, and you will get delicious light and airy cornbread muffins.
When you mix the dry ingredients with the butter, oil, and egg yolk, make sure you just mix it until it is combined. If you mix it too long, you will have cornbread muffins that taste like hockey pucks.
Whisking the egg white separately helps add some volume, you don’t need to mix it until still peaks form. Just mix the egg white until it is light, white, and foamy. Then gently fold it into the cornbread mix, and divide it into the muffin tins.
Every oven is different, so start checking your muffins about 15 minutes into baking so you make sure you don’t overbake them.
Top with some butter, and you have a delicious addition to any meal!
Low FODMAP Cornbread Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour gluten free
- 1/2 cup cornmeal medium ground
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup milk lactose free
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg separate yolk and whites
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Add 6 baking cup paper liners to a muffin tin.
- In medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients flour, cornmeal, sugar, and baking soda.
- Add to dry ingredients milk, melted butter, oil, egg yolk, and mix until just combined.
- In small bowl, whisk egg white to incorporate some air- it should be light, white, and foamy but NOT firm w/ peaks.
- Fold egg whites into muffin mixture. (This makes them a bit more light and airy)
- Add mixture evenly to muffin tin (should fill almost to the top).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, let cool, and enjoy!
Whether you are a novice in the kitchen, or a seasoned chef, Dietitian Klara will work with you to help you reach your nutrition goals. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating, Cooking with Diabetes and Cooking with Food Sensitivities Guide.