Turkey itself is fine on a low FODMAP diet, where you have to be careful is the seasonings. Many turkeys are seasoned with garlic, onion, and celery, all of which are no-nos on the low FODMAP diet. This recipe produces a bird that is so delicious, without any garlic, onion, or celery, so you don’t have to worry about uncomfortable GI symptoms that can be triggered by higher FODMAP foods.
This recipe uses a turkey breast instead of a full turkey, so it comes together very quickly. If you are cooking for a crowd, you could scale this recipe with a bigger turkey breast or a full turkey. Just adjust the seasonings and cooking time, your bird will need about 20 minutes per pound to get to the correct temperature.
What do I need to make low FODMAP turkey?
- Turkey breast
- Olive oil
- Leeks- the green part only!
How to Make a Low FODMAP Turkey
This turkey recipe is as easy as it gets. Simply mix together your seasonings with some olive oil, rub down your turkey breast, and throw it in the oven. That’s it! Depending on the size of the breast, your turkey will be ready in about an hour. And if your oven space is limited, we included air fryer instructions too.
Don’t forget to save the drippings to make this low FODMAP and gluten-free gravy.
Don’t feel like you have to limit turkey to just Thanksgiving, this recipe would make a delicious low FODMAP dinner any day of the week.
Serve with some of our other Low FODMAP Thanksgiving favorites:
- Low FODMAP Gravy
- Low FODMAP Mashed Potatoes
- Low FODMAP Stuffing
- Low FODMAP Collard Greens
- Low FODMAP Carrots
- Low FODMAP Cornbread
Low FODMAP Turkey Breast
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 lb turkey breast
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 parsnip chopped
- 1 leek green part only, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, stir together olive oil, paprika, oregano, rosemary, salt, thyme, and black pepper to form a paste.
- Loosen the skin with your finger and rub some of the spice mixture underneath the turkey skin. Rub the remaining spice mixture on all sides of the turkey breast.
- Place turkey breast skin side up in a lightly greased 9x13 pan and add carrots, parsnips and leeks around the turkey.
- Roast in preheated oven for about an hour, until the turkey reaches an internal temperature of 160°F (check the temperature in the center of the thickest part of the breast.
- Remove from the oven and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Let rest for 15 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Then slice and serve.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Preheat air fryer to 350°F. Season the turkey as instructed above in the oven instructions. Omit carrots, parsnips, and leeks.
- Cook turkey skin side down for 20 minutes. Turn over and cook until the internal temperature reads 160°F, about 30-40 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before carving.
Whether you are a novice in the kitchen, or a seasoned chef, Dietitian Klara will work with you to help you reach your nutrition goals. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating, Cooking with Diabetes and Cooking with Food Sensitivities Guide.