Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 carrot sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 8 oz mushroom chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup peas frozen
- 4 cups chicken cooked and cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1 pie crust
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven 375 F.
- Heat butter in a 10 inch oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, red pepper and mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes until the veggies have become soft. Add flour, thyme, salt and paper. Let cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes while the gravy thickens. Add in peas and cooked chicken. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Roll out pie crust and place over filling. Crimp edges of the pie crust, and cut slits in the top to form steam vents.
- Beat 1 egg with 1 Tbsp milk. Lightly brush top of the pie crust with the egg wash.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until top of the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Whether you are a novice in the kitchen, or a seasoned chef, Dietitian Klara will work with you to help you reach your nutrition goals. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating, Cooking with Diabetes and Cooking with Food Sensitivities Guide.