Tuscan Rice Soup is a mouth watering soup that is easy to make and freezer friendly. It is a great recipe to have on hand for cold winter nights.
Tuscan Rice Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 turkey sausage casings removed
- 2 medium carrot peeled and thinly sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 medium parsnips peeled and thinly sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 medium zucchini halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium leek thinly sliced
- 8 cups vegetable broth low-sodium
- 1 cup rice
- 1 bunch kale center stem removed and leaves chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp salt kosher
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- Heat oil over medium heat in a stock pot. Add turkey sausage, breaking apart until cooked through. Remove from pot.
- Add carrots, parsnips, zucchini and leek and cook for a few minutes, and vegetables are slightly browned.
- Add the broth, rice, kale, sausage, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the rice is tender, about 35 minutes. Remove bayleaf. Season the soup with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste.
Nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors.
Whether you are a novice in the kitchen, or a seasoned chef, Dietitian Klara will work with you to help you reach your nutrition goals. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating, Cooking with Diabetes and Cooking with Food Sensitivities Guide.