Benefits of Eating Cranberries:
But there is so much more to cranberries than cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving and splashing cranberry juice in your OJ at brunch. Cranberries are a rich source of polyphenols, which help protect against oxidative stress in the body. Studies have shown that cranberry extracts/products can help protect against urinary tract infections, lower LDL cholesterol, raise HDL cholesterol, and decrease inflammation!
A cranberry orange smoothie bowl is the breakfast you have been looking for to break you out of a recipe rut! It is sweet, creamy, and tart. This smoothie can be a great way to enjoy a refreshing cranberry beverage while retaining more nutrients and fiber. Sprinkling chopped nuts and chia seeds on the smoothie bowl adds more heart healthy fat and fiber!
Find this cranberry orange smoothie bowl recipe and more in our cooking with diabetes cookbook.
Cranberry Orange Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup cranberries frozen
- 1/2 avocado frozen
- 1 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1 orange navel, zested and peeled
- 1/4 cup water
- Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Add more water for a thinner consistency, if desired.
- Divide smoothie into 2 shallow bowls and add desired toppings.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts and chia seeds
Looking for other smoothie recipes?
How about a green smoothie?
Following a low FODMAPs diet? Try our Low FODMAPs Smoothie.
What are the benefits of making smoothies?
- they are quick and easy and require no cooking
- you can easily mix and match ingredients depending on what you enjoy and what is in season
- it is a great way to use up extra produce that is able to be overly ripe
For more tips about making smoothies and being a pro in the grocery store, take a look at this popular blog.
Also, in our Taste the Sweet Rebellion and Nourished Book, we have graphics to show how to mix and match ingredients to make your own customized smoothie.
Nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors.
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.