One of the other benefits of this healthy baked beans recipe is that you can cook in a variety of cooking methods including in the oven, slow cooker or the instapot. See below for directions for each cooking method. We like to think of our recipes in terms of cooking methods. We even wrote a cookbook utilizing how to develop basic cooking skills and add variety to your diet in an easy way. Take a look at our newest cookbook called Nourished: 10 Ingredients for Happy, Healthy Eating which includes information on technique cooking. Our searchable recipe database is searchable by cooking method. Give it a try and type in instapot to look at all our recipes that you can cook in an instapot.
Healthy Baked Beans
- 2 Tbsp olive oil cold pressed, extra virgin
- 1 cup sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce plus 1 tsp
- 15 oz canned tomatoes sauce
- 4 tsps liquid smoke
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cans cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes until softened and beginning to caramelize.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer beans to a casserole dish and bake for 50 minutes until thickened.
- Add all of the ingredients listed above into slow cooker.
- Add 1/2 cup water, and cook on high for 4 hours until thickened.
- Set the instant pot to saute function.
- When hot, add oil and onions, and cook for 5 minutes until softened and beginning to caramelize. Turn off instant pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and close lid. Be sure to set the vent to "sealing" mode.
- Cook at high pressure for 15 minutes. When done, use immediate release to relieve pressure, remove lid and stir.
Watch our dietitians Kaitlin and Klara prepare healthy baked beans and other tasty dishes for a complete meal.
Nutrition info is approximate and may contain errors.
Some of these links are affiliate links. If you click these links and make a purchase, I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you.
Whether you are a novice in the kitchen, or a seasoned chef, Dietitian Klara will work with you to help you reach your nutrition goals. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating, Cooking with Diabetes and Cooking with Food Sensitivities Guide.