Huevos Rancheros is perfect for any meal of the day!
Healthy Huevos-Rancheros is both delicious and festive and a great way to have a healthy breakfast for dinner. This easy to make amazing breakfast Huevos-Rancheros recipe is vegetarian, budget-friendly, quick, and easy. It is also dairy-free, gluten-free, and diabetes friendly. The vibrant colors from the salsa and different textures from the tortilla and eggs really brings the entire dish together! Try this Huevos-Rancheros recipe at your next brunch and put aside your traditional eggs and waffles to switch things up a bit!
Create this fun flavorful dish at home!
Recipes with several ingredients and flavors does not mean difficult to recreate! This Huevos-Rancheros recipe can be created from home in only 6 easy steps. Let us guide you in creating a meal that your friends, family, and of course yourself will enjoy. Pull out your note-pad or cellphone and create your grocery list. Start with the vegetables, tomato, onion, cilantro, and lime. Move onto spices salt, black pepper, and cumin (spices that are so versatile you may already have them in your own home). Lastly, make room for extras, tortillas, eggs, and garlic.
For more diabetes friendly, dietitian-approved recipes, take a look at our cooking with diabetes cookbook.
- 1 16 oz can tomato whole, peeled, low-sodium
- 1/2 onion small, chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp black pepper jalapeño, chopped
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 can black beans
- pinch cumin ground
- 8 egg
- 8 tortilla corn (gluten-free) or flour
- Combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, and half of the lime juice in the food processor. Pulse until well blended but still slightly chunky. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the black beans, cumin, and remaining lime juice in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use the back of a fork lightly mash up the beans, adding a splash of warm water if necessary.
- Coat a large, nonstick skillet or sauté pan with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Break the eggs into the skillet, cook until the whites have set but the yolks are still loose and runny.
- On a separate burner, heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add the tortillas, two at a time, cooking for one minute on each side until lightly toasted.
- To assemble dish, spread the tortillas with the beans, top with eggs, and top the eggs with the salsa. Garnish with more cilantro if you like and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Interested in more breakfast recipes? Check these out!
Nutrition info is approximate and may contain errors.
Rebecca Bitzer loves to empower Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs) and their clients. Co-author of Welcome to the Rebelution: Seven steps to the nutrition counseling practice of your dreams and Taste the Sweet Rebellion: Rebel against dieting.