Huevos Rancheros is a great way to have a healthy breakfast for dinner with this recipe that is both delicious and festive. This easy to make amazing breakfast or brunch Huevos Rancheros recipe is vegetarian, budget-friendly, quick and easy. It is also dairy-free, gluten-free, and diabetes friendly.
For more diabetes friendly, dietitian-approved recipes, take a look at our cooking with diabetes cookbook.
- 1 16 oz can tomato whole, peeled, low-sodium
- 1/2 onion small, chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 Tbsp black pepper jalapeño, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 can black beans
- pinch cumin ground
- 8 egg
- 8 tortilla corn (gluten-free) or flour
- Combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, and half of the lime juice in the food processor. Pulse until well blended but still slightly chunky. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the black beans, cumin, and remaining lime juice in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use the back of a fork lightly mash up the beans, adding a splash of warm water if necessary.
- Coat a large, nonstick skillet or sauté pan with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Break the eggs into the skillet, cook until the whites have set but the yolks are still loose and runny.
- On a separate burner, heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add the tortillas, two at a time, cooking for one minute on each side until lightly toasted.
- To assemble dish, spread the tortillas with the beans, top with eggs, and top the eggs with the salsa. Garnish with more cilantro if you like and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Nutrition info is approximate and may contain errors.
Rebecca Bitzer loves to empower Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs) and their clients. Co-author of Welcome to the Rebelution: Seven steps to the nutrition counseling practice of your dreams and Taste the Sweet Rebellion: Rebel against dieting.