Low Sodium Stuffing
- 1 loaf bread like Nature's Own Butterbread, 90 mg sodium per slice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 4 ribs celery diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 cups broth low sodium
- 1 Tbsp thyme fresh, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp sage fresh, finely chopped
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- Preheat oven to 275ºF. Tear each piece of bread in the loaf into small pieces. Spread evenly onto a sheet pan and bake for 45 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- In a large oven-safe pot like a dutch oven, add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add onion and celery and sauté until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 additional minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Combine onion mixture, egg, chicken broth, and seasonings in a large bowl. Add bread pieces and gently toss to combine.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Spray dutch oven (or a 13x9 baking dish) with cooking spray. Pour stuffing mixture into prepared pan. Cover with lid (or aluminum foil) and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for another 25 minutes, until set and top is golden brown.
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.