Finding healthy recipes like one pan chicken and asparagus that only involve a few dishes are life saver. Especially when you have limited counter space! Or, if you are sharing a kitchen with roommates. I have spent many evenings trying to make dinner in a crowded kitchen. Most nights, I would end up being squeezed in between my roommate and the kitchen wall. Carefully chopping or washing dishes around each other and trying to think of a meal you can make with the limited clean pots or pans left by the end of the night.
That’s why this one-pan chicken and asparagus recipe is perfect because you only need to give the asparagus a quick trim, and give the chicken breasts a quick dip in its seasonings. And, you can lay both on the same pan safely because the chicken will reach an internal temperature to kill any harmful bacteria. While at the same time the asparagus gets a beautiful char. You can pair this dish with a whole grain such as brown rice, quinoa, or whole wheat pasta to make a balanced meal that will be satisfying. The best part about this one pan asparagus and chicken meal is only having one dish to clean up in the sink afterword! Hurray!
Asparagus is a great veggie to try at dinner because it provides both the soluble and insoluble type of fiber. Having both of these fibers help encourage a healthy balance of good bacteria in your microbiome. Asparagus might also be a vegetable to increase in your if you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant, because it is a good source of folate, which is essential for healthy neurological development and new cell growth.
For more one-pan meal ideas, try our one-pan spaghetti and meatballs!
One Pan Asparagus and Chicken
- 1-1/2 lbs chicken boneless skinless breasts or tenders
- 3 lemon
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter separated and melted
- 1 tbsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 lb asparagus
- olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- parsley fresh
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large sheet pan with tin foil and set aside.
- Butterfly chicken breasts.
- In a bowl mix 1-2 teaspoons lemon zest, 4-5 tablespoons lemon juice, minced garlic, and 5 tablespoons melted butter. Remove 4 tablespoons of this mixture and set aside.
- Dip chicken in mixture and place chicken on sheet pan. Sprinkle lemon pepper seasoning over chicken.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes and remove.
- Flip the chicken to the other side.
- Place the asparagus next to the tenders and drizzle with olive oil, garlic salt and pepper.
- Place lemon slices over the chicken.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 10-12 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165°F.
- Remove from the oven and top with the reserved mixture and fresh parsley.
Photo by Amaris Galik
Nutrition info is approximate and may contain errors.
Dana uses her advanced training in functional nutrition and food sensitivities to help her clients love and trust food again as they heal from years of painful symptoms that have dominated their lives. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Food Sensitivities Survival Guide.