Although this recipe might look like a lot, we promise it’s not, and that it’s totally worth it! You start by making the teriyaki sauce, marinating the chicken, grilling the vegetables and then the chicken, tossing the vegetables in the sauce, and finally serving over rice or other grain of your choice. We think it’s just as good as takeout, but you know exactly what is going into it, and can be safe if you have celiac or non-celiac gluten sensitivity.
This is a great alternative for take-out! We love using our favorite meals as inspiration in the kitchen and frequently find ourselves trying to make “copy-cat” recipes of restaurant dishes. Some of our favorites include beef lo mein, pad thai, a cava falafel bowl, and others which can be found here!
Gluten Free Chicken Teriyaki
- 1 cup soy sauce gluten-free
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb chicken boneless, skinless thighs
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- pinch Red pepper flakes crushed
- 1 zucchini
- 1 squash
- 8 oz mushroom
- 1 bell pepper red
- 1 onion
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- Combine gluten-free soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, pineapple juice, brown sugar and garlic powder in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes until sauce has thickened slightly.
- Place chicken thighs in a bowl. Add 1/3 cup soy sauce mixture, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Mix together and set aside.
- Slice zucchini into 1/4 in thick pieces. Remove stem and seeds from bell pepper, and leave in 2 large pieces. Remove stems from mushrooms, and clean off any excess dirt. Cut onion into thick slices, do not separate the rings.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium heat (you can also just use a regular sauce pan). Toss the vegetables in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender and grill marks appear. Remove from grill or pan and set aside.
- Place chicken on grill and cook for about 5 minutes on each side, until the chicken is cooked to 165F and there is no pink.
- To serve, take the bell pepper and onions, and cut into bite-sized pieces. Quarter the mushrooms and zucchini. Toss the vegetables in 2 TBSP of soy sauce mixture above.
- Serve chicken and veggies with rice (pictured) or grain of your choice.
Nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors.
Some of these links are affiliate links. If you click these links and make a purchase, I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you.
Let us know what you think of this Gluten free chicken teriyaki recipe in the comments section below.
Whether you are a novice in the kitchen, or a seasoned chef, Dietitian Klara will work with you to help you reach your nutrition goals. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating, Cooking with Diabetes and Cooking with Food Sensitivities Guide.