This Chunky Vegetable Lentil Soup recipe is a delicious dietitian approved vegetarian and vegan recipe which is great for lunch or dinner any time of the year.
This vegetarian soup is hearty, diabetes friendly and delicious meal to enjoy as the weather gets colder. It uses your standard soup vegetables and canned lentils. That means it can easily be made with ingredients you either already have or can keep in your pantry, fridge, or freezer.
Something I love to do in the winter is make a big batch of soup and freeze some of it for days when I don’t want to cook. Similarly, if you have leftover vegetables, try freezing them until you need to use them!
This recipe uses carrots, which can last a long time just sitting in the fridge!
Typically, you can leave them refrigerated for 2-3 weeks until they start to go bad. Put them in a container with water and that time increases to at least a month!
The carrots combined with the canned tomatoes make this chunky vegetable lentil soup more nutrient-dense, while the lentils add some protein and heartiness to the soup, while keeping it diabetes-friendly and vegan!
For more diabetes-friendly recipes, take a look at our cooking with diabetes cookbook.
Chunky Vegetable Lentil Soup
- 2 cups vegetable broth reduced sodium
- 1 cup carrot chopped
- 1 can canned tomatoes diced
- 1 can lentils drained and rinsed. Can substitute: Trader Joe’s package steamed lentils, drained and rinsed can be used instead of canned lentils. One package is the equivalent of 2 cups of lentils
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried, ground
- 1/2 tsp cumin ground
- In a large pan, bring vegetable broth to a boil over high heat.
- Add carrots, reduce heat to medium, and cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, lentils, garlic, basil, thyme, and cumin. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
Please let us know what you think of our Chunky vegetable soup recipe in the comments section below.
-Blog reviewed and updated by Rebecca Bitzer MS RD LD September 16 2021
Rebecca Bitzer loves to empower Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs) and their clients. Co-author of Welcome to the Rebelution: Seven steps to the nutrition counseling practice of your dreams and Taste the Sweet Rebellion: Rebel against dieting.