No take out needed! With a little prep, ground lamb gyros can homemade! Baking and then broiling means you can cook in advance, and broil when you’re ready to eat!
If you are interested in a lower fat option, you could substitute ground chicken for the lamb in this recipe.
- 1 lb lamb ground, or ground chicken for a lower fat option
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 2 tsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp basil dried
- 1 tsp mint leaves dried
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 pita bread whole wheat, pocketless
- 1-1/2 cup tomato cherry, halved
- 1-1/2 cup cucumber diced
- 3/4 cup olives Kalamata, halved
- 3 cups arugula
- 6 Tbsp dressing Greek vinaigrette or a creamy dairy-free ranch, like Tessemae
- Combine lamb, garlic, onion, oregano, basil, mint, and salt. Mix with hands until just incorporated. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Take lamb out of the fridge and form into a rectangular loaf. Place on a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake for about 20 minutes, until lamb reaches an internal temperature of 130º F.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Slice lamb thinly and lay pieces in a single layer back onto the baking sheet. Broil for about 10 minutes, until hot and browned.
- Divide lamb among the 6 pitas and top with tomato, cucumber, olives, arugula, and a drizzle of desired dressing.
Looking for more versions of healthy take-out that you can make at home? Take-out can be convenient for dinner, but comes with a high price tag, high levels of sodium and fat. Try our healthy restaurant-inspired recipes instead!
We love teriyaki chicken and this recipe is delicious!
This easy Pad Thai comes together really quickly. It is filled with veggies, and you can combine different proteins to get different flavorful dishes! Check out the recipe here for a hearty and delicious low FODMAP Pad Thai!
We even have a blog of Fifteen healthy restaurant take out recipes in 2020. Click on this link here.
If you like greek food like lamb gyros, we also have some additional recipes that you will like.
Let us know what you think of this ground lamb gyros recipe in the comments below.
Nutrition info is approximate and may contain errors.
Some of these links are affiliate links. If you click these links and make a purchase, I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you.
-Recipe blog reviewed and updated by Rebecca Bitzer MS RD LD September 10, 2021
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.