Indian food is typically very labor intensive but this recipe is simple! The coconut milk gives this recipe a delightful creamy texture and taste.
The lentils soak up all the smells of the far east and make this recipe seem like you have been cooking lentils for hours. Yet, this tasty recipe comes together in minutes making it a quick and easy dinner solution.
See the complete recipe below for all the details for preparing Lentil Curry in your home tonight. Also take note of the tips and hacks to make this recipe even easier by using a microwaveable pack of brown rice and Trader Joe’s already steamed lentils! And best of all, this recipe is a great base to add any additional leftover vegetables that you may have on hand, we often use zucchini or green beans which compliment the curry beautifully.
This recipe is appropriate for helping to manage cancer, diabetes, heart health, and PCOS. It is also gluten free, vegetarian and with a few minor changes, can easily be adapted to a vegan diet by substituting vegetable oil. Although many people think that ghee is vegan, it does contain butterfat so it is not vegan, although it is considered dairy-free because the milk solids have been removed.
Did you know that this recipe is featured in our new cookbook NOURISHED: 10 Ingredients to Happy Healthy Eating? Find out more here.
- 2.5 cups lentils cooked
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 14 oz canned tomatoes sauce
- 1 head broccoli chopped, about 2 cups
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 2 large carrot chopped to matchsticks
- 1 jalapeno diced, optional
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup rice cooked
- If necessary, cook lentils according to package instructions and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion and salute for a few minutes. Add all the spices ( curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, sugar, garlic, ginger, and cayenne) and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and simmer until smooth.
- Place chopped vegetables in microwave safe dish with 1/2 inch of water for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, vegetables, and coconut milk to the onion and tomato mixture. Stir to combine and simmer for another 10 minutes. Serve over rice.
Looking for more lentil recipes? Take a look below:
Looking for more curry recipes? See below:
Dana uses her advanced training in functional nutrition and food sensitivities to help her clients love and trust food again as they heal from years of painful symptoms that have dominated their lives. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Food Sensitivities Survival Guide.