When you think about meal prepping, one’s mind tends to go to prepping lunches and/or dinners. Unfortunately, snacking can end up being a last minute thought! We recommend always going in with a plan for snacks if one of your goals is weight loss. Matcha pistachio energy balls are packed with fiber, protein and flavor for a nourishing bite.
What is matcha? Matcha is a high-quality green tea leave that is finely ground into a powder. Matcha’s claim to fame is its antioxidant content. Specifically, a catechin called EGCG. EGCG is an antioxidant also found in regular green tea, but analysis from ConsumerLab.com show that matcha green tea contains significantly more EGCG compared to regular brewed green tea. Several large, population based studies also suggest that drinking match green tea may help lower LDL cholesterol levels and improve blood pressure.
This recipe also features coconut oil and shredded coconut to add to it’s unique flavors. If you are a fan of coconut, try out Chocolate Coconut Energy Bites too!
Matcha Pistachio Energy Balls
- 1/2 cup pistachios shelled
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 12 dates pitted
- 1/4 cup coconut shredded, unsweetened
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Take ¼ cup pistachios and process in food processor until finely ground. Remove to separate bowl and set aside.
- Add cashews, remaining ¼ cup pistachios, dates, coconut, matcha powder and coconut oil. Blend well until finely chopped and mixture is sticky.
- Scoop mixture out into balls, and roll with hands.
- Roll balls in ground pistachios and chill for 15 minutes! Enjoy!
Nutrition info is approximate and may contain errors.
Whether you are a novice in the kitchen, or a seasoned chef, Dietitian Klara will work with you to help you reach your nutrition goals. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating, Cooking with Diabetes and Cooking with Food Sensitivities Guide.