You may be wondering what is salsa verde? Traditional salsa and is red because of the tomatoes. With salsa verde, tomatillos are used instead of tomatoes. The tomatillos tend to give the salsa a tangy, zesty flavor and pairs so nicely with the chicken in this recipe below.
Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
- 2-3 zucchini shredded
- 2 cups chicken cooked, shredded, see note below.
- black pepper
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt full fat
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 8 flour tortilla whole wheat, or corn tortillas for gluten free
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13 x 9 in casserole dish with cooking spray. Take shredded zucchini and season with salt. Allow to sit for 10 minutes, until zucchini has released liquid.
- In a large bowl, take shredded chicken, and add in shredded zucchini, squeezing out any excess liquid before adding it into the bowl with the chicken.
- Add 1 cup of cheese to the chicken and zucchini mixture, mix well and season with pepper to taste.
- In a bowl, mix greek yogurt, salsa verde, garlic cloves and 3 TBSP of cilantro.
- Heat flour tortillas in microwave for 45 sec-1 minute until warmed and pliable.
- Take one tortilla, and place about 1/4-1/3 cup chicken zucchini mixture into the tortilla. Roll up tortilla and place seam side down in the prepared casserole dish. Repeat until all tortillas and filling are used. Pour salsa mixture over rolled up tortillas. Top with remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.. Increase temperature in oven to 400°F. Remove aluminum foil and return enchiladas to oven for another 15-20 minutes until mixture is bubbly and top is browned. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve.
Recipe tips and hacks:
Try our salsa verde chicken recipe for the filling for the enchiladas. You can also use a rotisserie chicken!
If you wish to make this recipe ahead of time, follow instructions above through step 6. Cover casserole dish with plastic wrap, and then aluminum foil. Place in freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, remove Saran Wrap and place in oven covered with aluminum foil for 40-50 minutes. Increase temp to 400 F and remove aluminum foil, and bake until top of casserole is brown and bubbly.
We love our chicken recipes. If you want to experiment with some new chicken recipes, take a look at some of our most popular recipes:
- Five ingredient chicken curry
- Almond crusted chicken
- Gluten-free chicken teriyaki
- Honey sesame chicken
Also watch our dietitian’s live cooking video:
Whether you are a novice in the kitchen, or a seasoned chef, Dietitian Klara will work with you to help you reach your nutrition goals. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating, Cooking with Diabetes and Cooking with Food Sensitivities Guide.