Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Lentils
Coconut Curry Lentils
- 1 medium onion yellow, diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 2 carrot peeled and diced
- 2 cups lentils
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 1 15-oz can canned tomatoes diced
- 1 15-oz can canned tomatoes sauce
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk
- 10 cups brown rice cooked
- 1/2 onion red
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- Combine the onion, garlic, sweet potato, carrots, lentils, curry powder, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and vegetable broth in a slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and cook on hight for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours, until the lentils are tender. Most of the liquid should be absorbed.
- Stir the can of coconut milk into the lentil mixture.
- To serve, top one cup of rice with one cup of the lentil mixture. Add red onion and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
This recipe is budget friendly and can be used with pantry staples. The coconut milk makes the dish nice and creamy. You can make this in the slow cooker on low, set it and forget it until you come home from work or you can throw together the ingredients at lunch time if you work near your kitchen and cook the lentil curry all afternoon on high and have it ready for dinner. All you need to do is add the coconut milk at the very end and prepare rice to go along with this tasty Coconut Curry Lentils dinner.
Update during the COVID-19 pandemic. Yum. Still using pantry staples while locked in. Lentil curry recipe on our website. Didn’t have any more sweet potatoes so I skipped it and just added more carrots. Used up all my curry powder so I added cumin also.
We love our lentils and hope you do also. Take a look at some of our favorite lentil recipes:
Let us know what you think of our Coconut Curry Lentils recipe in the comments below. Did you know that our dietitians create, cook and photograph the recipes in our blogs?
Nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors.
Rebecca Bitzer loves to empower Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs) and their clients. Co-author of Welcome to the Rebelution: Seven steps to the nutrition counseling practice of your dreams and Taste the Sweet Rebellion: Rebel against dieting.