Tofu scramble is the breakfast of champions! You get plenty of protein and vegetables to have you feeling satisfied for hours.
- 8 ounces tofu extra firm
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin ground
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 3 Tbsp water to thin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric optional
- Open tofu container and drain liquid. Pat tofu dry, and then roll the tofu in a clean paper towel and place something heavy on top such as a pan or a serving bowl. The dryer you can get your tofu, the firmer the texture!
- While the tofu is drying, combine the garlic, cumin, chili powder, turmeric (optional) in a mixing bowl. Add water and whisk to create a pourable sauce.
- Crumble the tofu with a fork. Mix with sauce and set aside.
- Add olive oil, onion, and bell pepper to a hot pan. Cook for 5 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Add the tofu in with the vegetables. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until tofu is slightly browned.
Looking to eat more vegetarian and vegan meals? This tofu scramble just as easy to prepare as scrambled eggs. If you are thinking about eating more meatless meals, take a look at some of our recent blogs.
VEGAN AND VEGETARIAN RECIPES:
- Healthy burgers to satisfy everyone at the dinner table
- Lentil chili
- Slow cooker black beans
- Spinach mushroom frittata
- Creamy vegan mac & cheese
- Spicy cashew vegan queso
Thinking more about becoming vegetarian or eating primarily plant based foods?
First, understanding the various terms of vegetarianism and second, to make sure that your eating is ideal for your health and nutritional needs. People choose vegetarian for a wide variety of reasons. We will focus on six types of vegetarianism.
It is important to know that omitting foods can make it challenging to meet both macronutrient and micronutrient needs. Within each type of vegetarian diet, we will focus on nutrients that are challenging to meet nutritional needs and suggestions on how to meet those needs.
Additionally, we will include some of our favorite recipes for vegetarians. Lastly, we will provide information on how to make sure your personalized nutrient needs are being met.
TYPES OF VEGETARIAN DIETS:
There are many different types of vegetarians including the following,
Lacto-vegetarian diets exclude meat, fish, poultry and eggs, as well as foods that contain them. Dairy products, such as milk, cheese, yogurt and butter, are included.
Ovo-vegetarian diets exclude meat, poultry, seafood and dairy products, but allow eggs.
Lacto-ovo vegetarian diets exclude meat, fish and poultry, but allow dairy products and eggs.
Pescatarian diets exclude meat and poultry, dairy, and eggs, but allow fish.
Vegan diets exclude meat, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy products — and foods that contain these products.
-Blog reviewed and updated by Rebecca Bitzer MS RD LD September 10, 2021
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.