Whole Grain Spaghetti and Spiralized Zucchini
This recipe is a quick and easy ways to create a healthier version of a typical spaghetti dish. Save this recipe for your next pasta night! Combining whole grain pasta with spiralized zucchini is the perfect way to spice up plain old spaghetti.
Create a balanced plate with this recipe!
I love this new zucchini noodles trend! Adding zucchini to your whole wheat spaghetti is the perfect way to sneak this delicious green vegetable into your meal. This also requires less planning and cooking because you no longer need to prepare a side salad or vegetable to create that balanced plate as your vegetable source is already mixed in with your whole grain spaghetti!
If not cooked for too long zucchini noodles have a bit of a crunch, so if you enjoy the soft texture of whole wheat spaghetti with the crunchy texture of zucchini you are going to love this recipe!
For a complete meal this recipe mixes the tangy and delicious tomato sauce with ground beef for your protein source. This will easily become your weekly go-to dinner as it is easy to make, stores great, and believe us when we say everyone will enjoy it!
Whole Grain Spaghetti with Zucchini and Ragu Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 carrot peeled and diced
- 3 ribs celery diced
- 1 1/2 lbs beef ground, lean
- 2 28-oz cans canned tomatoes crushed
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 6 oz pasta whole grain spaghetti
- 4 cups zucchini spiralized
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery. Saute until they start to soften, about 5-6 minutes. Add ground beef to pot and continue to cook until meat has browned. Add crushed tomatoes, wine, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Bring pot to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Place zucchini noodles in a large saute pan over medium heat, stirring gently, until noodles start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add spaghetti noodles to pan and toss to combine. Divide noodles onto plates and top with a generous ladle of sauce. Enjoy!
We would love for you to try our other spaghetti recipes!
Nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors.
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.