- 1-1/4 cup almonds blanched slivered, soaked for 6 hours and drained
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2-1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup water
- Pour blanched slivered almonds, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and water into a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Line a small colander with a cheesecloth and place over a large bowl. Pour the mixture into the colander and allow to drain overnight for 12 hours in the fridge.
- After the cheese has drained overnight, unwrap the cheesecloth. The cheese can now be baked at 325° F for a spreadable cheese, or 350° F for a more crumbly, sliceable cheese.
- Place in refrigerator after baking if intended for future use.
One of the most frequent comments that we hear from clients trying to transition into consuming less dairy is how challenging it is to give up cheese. And we can’t blame you! Cheese is a great addition to so many recipes – pizza, tacos, salads, eggs, nachos, burgers, sandwiches, chili, lasagna – the list is endless. Cheese adds so much flavor to all of our foods and it’s hard to give up – but if you find that you have an inflammatory response to dairy foods, or a condition such as leaky gut, eating cheese can be even harder. What if there was a way to still have your favorite foods with your favorite flavors, without the pain and discomfort that follows? Introducing, our (some may say magical) almond cheese.
This cheese does take little longer to make compared to just swinging by Giant to pick up a bag of shredded mozzarella, but your stomach will thank you. Plus, you can even make this a fun family event as you can spend time teaching your kids valuable skills, create memories that will last a lifetime, and perhaps even inspire a passion for food.
Almonds are also an incredible source of healthy fats, fiber, and protein. They have even been shown to help lower blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels as well as reduce hunger to assist in weight loss goals. Almonds also have anti-inflammatory properties which can help to protect cells, including those in the gastrointestinal tract which have been damaged in conditions like leaky gut.
Looking for additional dairy-free recipes?
Here are some of our favorites in addition to Homemade almond cheese:
Chocolate Nice Cream
Walnut French Toast Bake