What is Almond Cheese?
Almond Cheese is made of almonds, instead of milk from animals, making it a good alternative for people with food sensitivities. It can have a crumbly or soft texture, depending on which foods you want to have it with.
For people who experience pain and discomfort eating gluten and dairy, Almond Cheese can ease those symptoms and minimize feelings of bloat, constipation, and irritability in your stomach. So, the next time you make some pizza for your family, instead of picking up some cheese from your nearby Whole Foods, just create your own Almond Cheese to add on top!
Health Benefits of Almonds
- Almonds are an incredible source of protein, healthy fats, fiber, Vitamin E, and Magnesium, all of which play a large role in strengthening your heart.
- They have even been shown to help lower blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and risk of heart diseases.
- Even 1 serving of almonds a day can help people with Type 2 Diabetes.
- They can also reduce hunger to assist in weight loss goals.
- Almonds also have anti-inflammatory properties which can help to protect cells, including those in the gastrointestinal tract which have been damaged in conditions like leaky gut.
Why should you make your own Almond Cheese?
1. Finding Almond Cheese at a grocery store may be hard.
Almond Cheese is dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan, and the chance of finding this in your nearby grocery store is low. Our recipe for Almond Cheese only requires a couple of ingredients that are readily available at most grocery stores, and it is easy to make.
2. You can control your sodium intake.
Did you know that bread, cheese, seasonings, and other common foods have a lot of sodium in them? Being able to make your own cheese can prevent consuming hidden sodium you may find purchasing cheese from grocery stores.
3. This can be a fun way to involve your kids in the kitchen!
Making homemade Almond Cheese can be the perfect opportunity to let your kids help out in the kitchen. They can help you blanch the almonds, process the ingredients, and use a cheesecloth!
- 1-1/4 cup almonds blanched slivered
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2-1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup water
- Pour blanched slivered almonds, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and water into a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Line a small colander with a cheesecloth and place over a large bowl. Pour the mixture into the colander and allow to drain overnight for 12 hours in the fridge.
- After the cheese has drained overnight, unwrap the cheesecloth. The cheese can now be baked for 35-40 minutes at 325° F for a spreadable cheese, or 350° F for a more crumbly cheese.
- Place in refrigerator after baking if intended for future use.
Are you interested in more Dairy-Free Recipes?
Check out some of our dietitian-approved favorites:
Want a step-by-step tutorial on how to make our cheese? Check out our video down below!
Let us know in the comments if you’ve ever tried Almond Cheese and what you think of our recipe! If you have tried store-bought Almond Cheese, what are your favorite brands?