This blog is dedicated to high fiber black bean burgers! One of the most underrated super foods in my opinion is the black bean. First let’s look into the nutrition content of black beans.
One cup of cooked black beans packs in:
- 15 grams protein
- 15 grams fiber
- Over half your daily needs of folate
- Almost half your daily needs of copper, manganese, thiamine
- A significant source of magnesium, phosphorus and iron
The nutrients in beans help…
- Improve digestion and overall circulation.
- Aid in heart health.
- Fight inflammation.
- Stabilize blood sugar.
- Increase satiation (the feeling of being full).
How you can include black beans into your diet?
The next question is how do I include these nutritious beans into my meals? One of my favorite ways to incorporate beans into my diet is through black bean burgers! They’re basically just mashed up beans seasoned just as you would meat, and cooked any way you prefer.
How to make Black bean Burgers
First: Combine garlic, onion, and green pepper into a food processor until well chopped. Wrap veggie blend in paper towels and squeeze out excess moisture. Remove as much water as possible or the burgers won’t stick together.
Next: Add the drained vegetable mixture to the bowl the mashed black beans. Stir in the chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper
Then: Combine beaten egg to the bowl. Mix in bread crumbs. Form mixture into 4 or 5 patties.
You have a few options of how to cook your black bean burgers:
- To grill, place burgers on a well greased grill and cook fro about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- In the oven bake patties at 375 degrees F on a lightly oiled baking sheet, for 10 minutes on each side.
- Using a grill pan, cook for 4-5 minutes on each side.
Don’t forget your toppings!
Now for mine, I personally like to make a homemade chipotle mayo but you can always buy your own or add different preferred toppings.
Wanting more beans? The next step is to check out some of our favorite black bean recipes:
Join us on our next Facebook Live episode coming up on 2/2/19 at 11am featuring this Black Bean Burger recipe with Registered Dietitians Klara and Kaitlin will be whipping up a batch of these black bean burgers!
Looking for more recipes ideas and how to meal plan for you and your family? Reach out to us at 301-474-2499 or at email@example.com to set up an appointment with on of our Registered Dietitians!
Blog contributions by Rachael May, dietetic intern.