If you’re gluten free and looking for more variety, thankfully there are a lot of products on the market that are similar to their gluten-containing counterparts. Fortunately, there are some good pasta options now! Is there anything more satisfying than a warm, cheesy helping of pasta with a classic meat sauce? I guess that depends on the person, but hey, it’s pretty delicious no matter what!
What You’ll Need
- Gluten Free Pasta
- Ground Beef (or Turkey)
- Marinara Sauce
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Italian Seasoning
How to Make a Meal with Baked Pasta
Baked pasta is a great one pot meal, with your starch and your protein all in one. Tomato sauce provides some vegetable, but we can up the veggies by adding some to the mix or serving them on the side. We love roasted bell pepper and zucchini mixed in with our meat sauce. You could serve the pasta alongside your favorite vegetable side or salad.
Why Make Gluten Free Baked Pasta?
Baked pasta is a warm and filling crowd pleaser and is just so easy to make. You can’t go wrong with pasta covered in melty cheese. You can certainly make this with any type of pasta, but for our gluten free crowd, we recommend a product like Barilla Gluten Free pasta or Banza chickpea pasta.
Can You Use Other Ingredients?
This is a really tasty, basic recipe, but you can certainly get creative. You can use any type of pasta. You could even use different protein/sauce combinations. Pesto and chicken sausage. Shredded chicken and alfredo. Skip browning the meat and use premade meatballs instead. Mix your pasta with your protein and sauce, top with cheese, and bake until it’s bubbly. You could add dollops of ricotta. A sprinkle of fresh basil, parmesan, and/or red pepper flakes would be *chef’s kiss*.
This meal can be served right away, or make it in advance and heat it up when ready to serve. It is best served warm. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
Gluten Free Baked Pasta with Beef and Mozzarella
- 12 oz gluten free pasta like Barilla
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- 1.5 cups mozzarella shredded, separated
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×13 baking dish
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large saute pan over medium high heat, brown the meat, breaking up with a spoon. Set aside.
- Add the meat, marinara sauce, pasta, and 1 cup of cheese to the baking dish. Stir gently until everything is combined.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese on top and cover the pan with foil.
- Bake for 14 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake another 5-10 minutes until browned on the top and bubbly.
As a certified LEAP therapist, Dietitian Kathleen can help you solve your digestive difficulties with cutting edge research and state of the art protocols. Co-author of Cooking with Food Sensitivities Survival Guide.