Grilled Vegetable Lasagna
- 5 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 onion sweet, medium
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup broth
- 2 pounds ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 3 zucchini
- 3 yellow squash
- 2 eggplants
- 1 15 oz ricotta skim
- 2 eggs
- 10 oz mozzarella cheese fresh
- Slice the zucchini, squash, and eggplant lengthwise into thin slices. Place in a single layer onto baking sheets and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 10 minutes. This will help draw out excess moisture. Blot with a paper towel.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Grill zucchini/squash/eggplant until softened and browned. Remove to a pan lined with paper towels to remove any additional moisture. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss tomatoes, onion, and garlic in olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread onto a baking sheet and roast until soft (about 20 minutes). Let cool and transfer to blender. Add broth and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the ground beef until browned. Stir in tomato sauce and Italian seasoning.
- Add ricotta and eggs to a small bowl and stir until well combined. Shred mozzarella into a separate bowl.
- Spread about 1/4 of the sauce mixture on the bottom of a 13x9 pan. Spread zucchini into an even layer. Next, spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture onto the zucchini, another 1/4 of the tomato sauce, and top with yellow squash. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta over the yellow squash, 1/4 of the tomato sauce, and top with eggplant. Spread remaining sauce over the eggplant. Dot with the remaining ricotta, and then finish with a layer of shredded mozzarella.
- Reduce heat of oven to 375 degrees F. Bake lasagna until cheese is melted and sides are bubbling. Remove from oven and serve as desired. If using for meal prep, let cool completely before cutting into 10 pieces (the cooler the lasagna, the easier it will cut, and the less mess it will make when putting into containers!).
Nutrition info is approximate and may contain errors.
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.