Lentil Vegetable Soup with Tarragon and Thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 2 medium celery sticks, diced
- 16 oz stewed tomatoes can Italian-style
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp tarragon dried
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups green lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Sauté the yellow onions, carrots and celery for about 10 minutes, until the onions have browned a bit. Add the garlic, tarragon, thyme and paprika and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and stir to de-glaze pot.
- Add the broth, lentils, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Once soup is boiling, lower heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 45 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Add more water if it looks too thick, or cook uncovered for a few minutes if it is too thin. Serve with good, crusty bread.
Nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors.
Rebecca Bitzer loves to empower Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs) and their clients. Co-author of Welcome to the Rebelution: Seven steps to the nutrition counseling practice of your dreams and Taste the Sweet Rebellion: Rebel against dieting.