Low Sodium Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion large, diced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken broth no salt added
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 3 cups broccoli florets chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar shredded
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir. Let cook for a few minutes until golden, about 4 minutes. Whisk in half and half and milk slowly until smooth. For a lower fat option, replace the half and half with milk, if desired.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat until thickened.
- Add broccoli and carrot to the pot and cook until broccoli is soft, about 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender on low, allowing some larger flecks of carrot and broccoli to remain. Return to pot. Add cheese and stir until melted. Serve immediately.
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.