Low Sodium Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion large, diced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken broth no salt added
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 3 cups broccoli florets chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar shredded
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir. Let cook for a few minutes until golden, about 4 minutes. Whisk in half and half and milk slowly until smooth. For a lower fat option, replace the half and half with milk, if desired.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat until thickened.
- Add broccoli and carrot to the pot and cook until broccoli is soft, about 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender on low, allowing some larger flecks of carrot and broccoli to remain. Return to pot. Add cheese and stir until melted. Serve immediately.
Please note: nutrition facts are an estimate and may contain errors.
Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 22g | Sodium: 252mg | Potassium: 497mg | Fiber: 3g
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.