Apple bread is such a tasty fall food – it can of course be made year-round, but there’s nothing like using in-season fruit! We know that it can be tricky to find baking recipes that are gluten free and dairy free, especially when they aren’t necessarily a “staple” recipe (like yellow cake or chocolate chip cookies). So, this recipe uses gluten free flour, non-dairy milk, and coconut oil so more people can enjoy the deliciousness that is apple bread!
To make this apple bread, you need pretty standard ingredients. Instead of all-purpose flour, we used 1:1 measure gluten-free flour, which can be found in most grocery stores! If it isn’t with the normal baking supplies, it could be with other gluten-free products. The rest of the dry ingredients are pretty much what you’d expect – cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and sugar. When it comes to wet ingredients, we just subbed non-dairy milk for cow’s milk and combine that with melted coconut oil, vanilla, egg, and applesauce. After combining dry and wet ingredients, diced apples are added and the batter is added to a pan. The best part of this recipe is the crumb topping, made with brown sugar, cinnamon, gluten-free flour, coconut oil, and rolled oats, which is spread across the top of the batter. The loaf is baked for 45-50 minutes and then you can dig in!
If you want, you can stir in other ingredients with the apples. Raisins or nuts would be amazing! You can store this bread in the fridge.
Other recipes you’ll love:
Gluten Free Apple Bread
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups flour 1:1 gluten free flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 3 tbsp milk non-dairy
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 apple large; peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp flour 1:1 gluten free flour
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup rolled oats gluten free
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients for the bread: flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients: egg, applesauce, coconut oil, milk, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Add dry to wet ingredients, stirring until combined. Fold in diced apple.
- Spread batter into prepared loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients. Top loaf batter with crumb topping.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before slicing.
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.