In this blog we will teach you how to make “Nice Cream” a refreshing and easy summer treat made from bananas! Who knew bananas could be so versatile? When they are ripe they make a healthy and quick snack, they’re a tasty addition to a smoothie, handy in baking, and absolutely delicious as “ice cream.”
Nutrients found in bananas:
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin C
Nice Cream is a wonderful heart-healthy dessert because of it’s high fiber and potassium contents. High-fiber diets are linked to decreased risk of developing heart disease and potassium is a nutrient used by the body to regulate blood pressure. In addition to being heart-healthy and allergen-friendly, Nice Cream is absolutely delicious!
To make this Nice Cream you will need 3 overripe bananas. The way to tell if they are overripe is if they have large and multiple brown spots. Once you have that and a food processor you’re good to go!
- Peel and chop 3 bananas (into pieces that are about ½ in wide).
- Place the bananas in a ziplock bag (get as much air out as you can) and place in the freezer.
- After 2 hours the bananas should be frozen!
- Take out the banana slices and place them in the blender.
- Run the blender until you have a smooth consistency (I had to stir it a couple of times).
- Remove the ice cream and place into an airtight container for storage.
- OR you can enjoy the ice cream as soft serve.
You can make a bunch of variations and delicious flavors:
- If you’re in the mood for chocolate, add 3 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder (1 tbsp for every banana used)
- Combine 2-3 cookie sandwiches for cookies ‘n creme flavor
- Add ⅓ cup of frozen strawberries
- Use ½ tsp of vanilla extract for vanilla ice cream
- For peanut butter, add 3 tbsp of peanut butter while you make the ice cream
Looking for more recipes ideas and how to meal plan for you and your family? Reach out to us at 301-474-2499 or at email@example.com to set up an appointment with on of our Registered Dietitians!