Have you wondered how to use chia seeds in your everyday life? The chia seed craze is here!
The first time many of us heard the word, “chia”, it was referring to our beloved terracotta, Chia Pets. Yes, that is the same chia that we eat! It has been 30 years since Chia Pets were first released. The chia craze hasn’t died out — in fact, it’s only gained popularity! You may be familiar with Chia Pudding, which can be a great snack or breakfast option, but you can also use chia in beverages. If you’re looking to find a fun, non-alcoholic drink for summer, a chia seed drink may be just what you’ve been waiting for!
So….what is chia and why include it in your diet?
- Did you know that the ancient Aztec and Mayan people used chia as a main part of their diet? And we understand why! Take a look below at the nutritional benefits of chia:
- Chia seeds are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega 3’s are essential fatty acids, which the body does not naturally produce and must be found in your diet! Studies suggest that people with diets high in omega-3 fatty acids are at a reduced risk for many chronic diseases.
- They are a plant-powered complete protein, meaning they contain all of the essential animo acids necessary to our bodies to function.
- There are 5 grams of fiber in just one tablespoon!
- They can help keep you hydrated because of their high water content!
- High in micronutrients, such as calcium, phosphorous, and manganese.
Check out this recipe to learn how to make chia seed lemonade!
Looking for a non-alcoholic summer beverage to sip on in the heat? Try out this Mojito Mocktail with chia seeds and komboucha!
Looking for more recipes ideas and how to meal plan for you and your family? Reach out to us at 301-474-2499 or at email@example.com to set up an appointment with on of our Registered Dietitians!
Blog contributions by Ivy Devadas, dietetic intern.