Stuffing is definitely an essential part of Thanksgiving dinner, and we want to make sure everybody is able to enjoy it. For those working to manage their blood sugars, we’ve come up with this lower carb stuffing recipe that is balanced with protein, fats, and fiber, taking some stress out of the holiday.
To make this a lower carb option, we used low carb a high fiber bread and added protein and fats to balance it out, making sure to keep the flavor we all love in our stuffing. We started with Schmidt’s 647 Italian bread, torn into pieces and baked it at a low temperature to dry it out. We added cooked turkey sausage, onion, egg, chicken broth, and seasonings to bump up the protein and flavor, so don’t worry! You won’t be disappointed with our low carb stuffing.
After baking the bread at a low temperature for 45 minutes, cooking the turkey sausage, and sauteeing the onion, celery, and garlic, everything is combined and baked for 25 minutes covered in aluminum foil, then 25 more minutes uncovered.
While we used Schmidt 647 bread, you can use any other lower carb bread to make this recipe! We found that this bread makes for a delicious stuffing, and is generally easy to find in grocery stores.
Using Low Carb Stuffing Leftovers
As with every Thanksgiving meal, there are usually a plethora of leftovers! Feel free to get creative with your leftovers. Here are some unique ways to get more meals out of your low carb stuffing:
- Reheat stuffing in a waffle iron and have breakfast stuffing waffles
- Turkey & stuffing dumpling soup
- Use as a topping on a leftovers casserole
- Stuffing stuffed squash
- Stuffing stuffed peppers
Other recipes you’ll love
If you are interested in reading more about eating low carb during holiday meals, keep reading here!
Low Carb Stuffing
- 1 loaf bread Italian
- 1 lb turkey sausage mild, Italian
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 stalk celery about 6 ribs; diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 egg beaten
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 tbsp thyme fresh, minced
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 275ºF. Tear each piece of bread in the loaf into small pieces. Spread evenly onto a sheet pan and bake for 45 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Cook turkey sausage in large sauté pan over medium high heat, breaking up with a spoon, until fully cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add olive oil to pan and heat over medium heat. Add onion and celery and sauté until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 additional minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Combine turkey sausage, onion mixture, egg, chicken broth, and seasonings in a large bowl. Add bread pieces and gently toss to combine.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray. Pour stuffing mixture into prepared pan and spray top of stuffing lightly with avocado oil spray. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for another 25 minutes, until set and top is golden brown.
Please note, nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors. Some of these links are affiliate links. If you click these links and make a purchase, I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you.
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.