Sausage and Kale Soup
- 1 lb ground pork or turkey to reduce saturated fat content
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp black pepper plus additional to taste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes plus additional to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb red potatoes sliced
- 4 carrots peeled, chopped
- 1 bunch kale ribs removed, sliced into ribbons
- 2-15 oz cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup Italian flat leaf parsley finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- In a large pot, cook pork (or turkey) over medium-high heat until browned, breaking up with a spoon. Season with parsley, Italian seasoning, black pepper, fennel seed, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Once cooked through, drain and place sausage on a plate. Set aside.
- Add olive oil and onions to the pot and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute. Next add broth and water to the pot. Bring to a boil, then add remaining ingredients as well as the cooked pork. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and let simmer.
- Let contents of pot simmer for at least 30 minutes, until potatoes and carrots are cooked through. To allow flavors to combine, cook longer if possible.
- Season with additional black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste. When ready to serve, sprinkle with additional parsley.
Nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors.
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.