This is not your ordinary Savory Butternut Squash Soup, this recipe is sure to be among your favorites. There is nothing more satisfying after spending time outdoors than to warm up with some tasty savory soup. All you need for this recipe is butternut squash, onion, apple, thyme, nutmeg, olive oil, broth, and greek yogurt. If you want to make your own bread crumbs, just follow the instructions, it is really quite easy, see the details below. What a wonderful way to start off the autumn holiday season with butternut squash.
If you would like to try other favorite soups, give these a try:
- Beef and Sweet Potato Chili
- Black Bean Tomato Soup
- Corn Zucchini Chowder
- Lentil Vegetable Soup with Tarragon and Thyme
Looking for more Fall-inspired recipes? Check out our Chicken Thighs with Cranberries and Butternut Squash for another tasty winter squash recipe. Squash is not just for dinner. Start the day with an Acorn Squash Nest as an alternative to the traditional “egg in a hole.”
Savory Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium butternut squash chopped
- 1/2 onion sweet onion, chopped
- 1 apple chopped
- 2 tbsp thyme fresh; chopped
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1 ciabatta bread cut into cubes
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Toss squash, onion, and apple with thyme, nutmeg, and olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until soft.
- Place squash mixture to a blender with broth and yogurt. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer soup to a small pot. Add any additional thyme, nutmeg, salt, or pepper if desired. Heat thoroughly.
- Toss bread cubes in either oil or butter, depending on whether you want sweet or savory croutons, along with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake in the 400°F oven until browned and crispy (it doesn’t take long so keep an eye on it!)
- Serve soup with a handful of croutons on top and enjoy!
Nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors.
Please let us know what you think of this recipe in the comments section below.
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.