Savory Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium butternut squash chopped
- 1/2 onion sweet onion, chopped
- 1 apple chopped
- 2 tbsp thyme fresh; chopped
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1 Ciabatta bread cut into cubes
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss squash, onion, and apple with thyme, nutmeg, and olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until soft.
- Place squash mixture to a blender with broth and yogurt. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer soup to a small pot. Add any additional thyme, nutmeg, salt, or pepper if desired. Heat thoroughly.
- Toss bread cubes in either oil or butter, depending on whether you want sweet or savory croutons, along with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake in the 400 degree F oven until browned and crispy (it doesn’t take long so keep an eye on it!)
- Serve soup with a handful of croutons on top and enjoy!
Nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors.
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.