Breakfast does not have to boring with oatmeal, there are so many tasty recipes using oatmeal. Here are a few of our favorites:
- 1 t olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion yellow, diced
- 1/4 cup mushroom baby bella, sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and mushroom and saute until softened. Add garlic and saute for an additional minute, until fragrant.
- Add chicken stock to pan, bring to a boil and stir in oats. Immediately reduce to a simmer, stirring frequently. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until oats are soft and liquid has absorbed.
- While oats are cooking, cook egg in desired fashion (poached, fried, scrambled).
- When oats have reached desired consistency, remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into a bowl, and top with parmesan cheese and egg.
This Savory Oats recipe is a great way to change up breakfast and to wake up your taste buds with something savory in the morning.
Nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors.
Please let us know what you think of our Savory Oats recipe in the comments section below.
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.