Next time you are looking for a delicious, healthy recipe that tastes good too, make sure to visit our recipe database for dietitian-approved and tested recipes like this one that our culinary dietitian Klara Knezevic, RD, LD, CLT describes below. Klara loves her slow cooker (crockpot) and instapot so check our recipes for lots of recipe inspiration. Here are links to some of our favorite slow cooker recipes found on our blog.
If you happen to be cooking for Cinco De Mayo, we also have some fabulous recipes for you to try.
Slow Cooker Carnitas Tacos
- 2 lbs pork boneless pork shoulder
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp chipotle sauce
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 20 tortilla 6 inch, flour or corn (to make it gluten-free)
- toppings salsa, avocado, lettuce, cheese, lime wedges, etc
- Take pork shoulder and sprinkle it with taco seasoning, rubbing the spice mixture into the pork until it covers the whole surface of the roast.
- Place pork in the slow cooker. Add garlic, orange juice, lime juice and chipotle sauce into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove pork from slow cooker and shred using two forks.
- When ready to serve the tacos, top each taco with 1.5 oz of pork, black beans and desired toppings.
Let us know what you think about our Slow Cooker Carnitas Tacos in the comments section below.
Nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors.
Whether you are a novice in the kitchen, or a seasoned chef, Dietitian Klara will work with you to help you reach your nutrition goals. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating, Cooking with Diabetes and Cooking with Food Sensitivities Guide.