Switch up your sandwich routine with chickpea salad
A chickpea salad sandwich is a delicious alternative to your traditional chicken salad, egg salad, or tuna salad sandwich. This is a vegetarian alternative but with all the flavors of chicken salad. The chickpea salad can be served on bread, in a wrap, or over greens. It holds up well all week, so can be a great meal prep recipe for your lunches.
Get creative and make it your own! I like adding chopped pecans, but you can also add dried fruit, grapes, diced apples…whatever you want. Make it into a curried chickpea salad with the addition of curry powder. Don’t want to use mayo? This works well with plain Greek yogurt too.
This can easily be made into a vegan recipe by swapping out the mayo for vegenaise.
If you are concerned about your blood sugars, keep in mind that chickpeas are also a source of carbohydrate, so plan for that in your carb count! I like to have it on high fiber bread and serve with veggies and dip.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas low sodium, rinsed and drained
- 4 ribs celery finely diced
- 1/4 cup mayo or plain greek yogurt, or a combination of both
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Desired additions: chopped pecans, dried fruit
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl. With the back of a wooden spoon, smash the chickpeas. If you're planning on making a sandwich, make sure to mash pretty well so that it stays contained on the bread.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Serve on bread, in a wrap, or over greens.
Need more chickpea ideas? Check out these recipes!
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.