Jack-O-Lantern Vegan Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell pepper orange
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 5 oz shitake mushrooms chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 9 oz steamed lentils Melissa's
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup cashew queso store bought or homemade
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Cut tops off peppers and scoop out seeds and membranes. Using a paring knife, carefully cut out a jack-o-lantern face in each side of the peppers. Place peppers in a square baking dish with 1/4 cup water in the bottom. Cover with foil and place in oven and bake for about 15 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and mushroom and cook until softened. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute, until fragrant. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, lentils, salt, chili powder, cumin, and paprika. Bring to a simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Remove foil from baking dish and spoon lentil mixture into each pepper until full. Top with lid and cover loosely with foil. Return to oven for 20 minutes, until heated through and peppers are soft.
- Serve peppers with cashew queso. Enjoy!
Nutrition info is approximate and may contain errors.
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.