So what makes this Low Carb Shepherds Pie recipe different that traditional Shepherds Pie, well, the first thing that comes to mind is there is a ton of cauliflower in this recipes, 2 heads of cauliflower to be exact. There is also ground turkey in this recipe which is a lower fat version of ground beef or ground lamb. Let us know what you think of this recipe in the comments section below.
If you are looking for more gluten-free or low carb recipes, take a look in our searchable recipe database on this website.
Low Carb Shepherds Pie
- 2 heads cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 onion diced
- 4 carrot peeled and diced
- 4 ribs celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lb turkey ground
- 1/2 cup chicken broth low sodium
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl with a lid. Add ¼ cup water, and microwave for 7-8 minutes, checking occasionally. The cauliflower must be very soft to mash into a smooth consistency.
- Place cauliflower in bowl with milk and butter. With a potato masher, mash the cauliflower to desired consistency. For a smoother texture similar to mashed potatoes, add cauliflower to a blender and blend until smooth. Salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, carrot, and celery and cook until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add ground turkey and broth and continue to cook until turkey is cooked through. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When turkey is fully cooked, place mixture into a casserole dish. Top with mashed cauliflower, then sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Place casserole in oven and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly. Enjoy!
Nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors.
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.