One Pot Mexican Quinoa is one of our favorites. This is a quick, and easy lunch to put together. It is packed with protein, fiber and nutrients and is dietitian approved.
One Pot Mexican Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained
- 1 cup corn frozen
- 1 14.5 oz can tomato diced, with green chilis
- 1 jalapeno chopped (optional)
- 2 bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup cheese cheddar
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 lime juice
- toppings salsa, avocado, sour cream, extra cheese, chicken, etc.
- Place all ingredients (except for cilantro, cheese, lime juice and toppings) in a pot or large, deep pan.
- Stir the ingredients together and cook on medium heat until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the cheese and stir. Top with cilantro.
- When you are ready to eat, top with any desired toppings. Enjoy!
Looking for more recipes using Quinoa, here are a few more:
TIPS ON EATING HEALTHIER:
For more information on how does food impact your health, take a look at one of our popular blogs:
How does food affect your health, here is a snippet below.
Food is Medicine. Yes, what you eat affects your health. Diet can help you manage and prevent chronic illness. Staying healthy prevents absenteeism and helps you feel better all year long. While food cannot replace medication entirely, a healthy diet is your best defense against chronic illness.
Eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and whole grains helps manage:
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- High cholesterol
- Diabetes (blood sugar)
Remember, our One Pot Mexican Quinoa recipe is filled with whole grains! Quinoa is a grain crop grown for its delicious healthy seeds. Quinoa is often mispronounced, the correct pronunciation is KEEN-wah. Take a look at this article about the health benefits of quinoa.
Nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors.
-Recipe blog reviewed and updated by Rebecca Bitzer MS RD LD September 10, 2021
Whether you are a novice in the kitchen, or a seasoned chef, Dietitian Klara will work with you to help you reach your nutrition goals. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating, Cooking with Diabetes and Cooking with Food Sensitivities Guide.