What is a Baja Chicken Bowl?
You may have seen similar recipes or menu items called by a variety of names. Chicken bowls, rice bowls, grain bowls, these all remind us of the benefits of DIY customized one dish meals that you can build based on your likes and food sensitivities.
It is a great way to also feed a crowd to please even the pickiest eaters. These bowls are so popular you will often see them at fast causal restaurants like Cava, Mezo, Chipotle, and Qdoba. Similarly, other popular restaurants like Panera have similar salad or rice bowls.
We love making copy cat recipes in our dietitian kitchen. Here is a tasty and nutritious Baja chicken bowl recipe.
For more copy cat recipes, take a look at our popular blog
We hope you enjoy our Baja Chicken bowl that was created by our own dietitian and even photographed by Rebecca Bitzer & Associates: A Dietitian for Every Condition’s Kaitlin Williams Eckstein, MPH, RD, LD.
This Baja Chicken Bowl is a quick and easy dish with everything you need, right in one bowl. Does it get better than this? No. No it does not.
And as we mentioned above, you can customize this recipe as you build it yourself to make it exactly what you are looking for in this easy meal.
Baja Chicken Bowl
- 3-4 oz chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup rice cooked
- 1/2 cup black beans low sodium, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup cabbage shredded
- 2 Tbsp queso fresco crumbled
- 1/4 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup tomato cherry, diced
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro chopped, plus additional for garnish
- 1 pinch salt kosher, optional
- jalapeno sliced, for garnish
- In a small bowl, mix together cumin, chili powder, and garlic. Rub seasoning mixture onto chicken and cook in a pan over medium high heat, until it reaches an internal temperature of 165º F. Let cool slightly and dice.
- Layer the rice, chicken, black beans, cabbage, queso fresco, avocado and tomato in a shallow bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, lime juice, cilantro, and salt (optional).
- Drizzle over rice bowl. Garnish with additional cilantro and fresh jalapeno slices, if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition info is an estimate and may contain errors.
Looking for more salad recipes?
Make sure to check out our mason jar salads!
This blog has been reviewed and updated on September 9, 2021
An award winning recipe developer, Dietitian Kaitlin’s mission is to empower others to reach their health goals by encouraging them to get back into the kitchen. Co-author of Nourished: 10 Ingredients to Happy, Healthy Eating and Cooking with Diabetes.