Everybody loves hot cocoa, but it can be tricky when you need to watch your carbohydrate intake. This recipe is almost as easy as opening a pouch of that sweet-smelling chocolate-y powder, but will help make sure your blood sugar doesn’t spike.
Aside from this sugar free hot cocoa, we have plenty of other diabetes-friendly recipes that can be used as alternatives to other desserts. Check out a few of our favorites below:
- Black Bean Brownies
- Blueberry Coconut Muffins
- Cheesecake with Blackberry Compote
- Chocolate Greek Yogurt Pie with Hazelnut Crust
- Grain-Free Gingerbread Cookies
- Pumpkin Pie
- Vegan Chocolate Pudding
Sugar Free Hot Cocoa
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1.5 tsp stevia
- 1 cup milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- sugar-free marshmallows (optional)
- Combine the cocoa powder, sugar alternative, and milk in a saucepan over medium heat until well-blended and it reaches your desired temperature.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract (and salt, if using).
- Serve, topping with marshmallows if desired.
If you are wondering about the safety of stevia and other artificial sweeteners, take a look at this blog called Comparisons and Risks of Specific Artificial Sweeteners.
Please let us know what you think of our sugar free hot chocolate recipe in the comments section below.