This sugar-free hot cocoa is the perfect treat on a chilly day, and it’s diabetes friendly. Hot chocolate is often packed with sugar and can easily spike your blood sugar. This recipe is great for enjoying a classic warm winter drink, while keeping blood sugars stable.
This hot chocolate is made with cocoa powder, stevia, your milk of choice, vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, and marshmallows if you want! They should all be easy to find ingredients, and stevia can normally be found in the baking aisle near the sugar if you are having any trouble finding it.
To make this hot cocoa, mix all the ingredients except vanilla, salt, and marshmallows over medium heat in a saucepan. Heat it until it reaches your desired temperature, remove it from the heat, and stir in the vanilla and salt. Serve with marshmallows if you like! You can try adding other flavors in your hot chocolate, such as peppermint extract for a minty cocoa treat!
Other recipes you’ll love:
Sugar Free Hot Cocoa
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1.5 tsp stevia
- 1 cup milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- sugar-free marshmallows (optional)
- Combine the cocoa powder, sugar alternative, and milk in a saucepan over medium heat until well-blended and it reaches your desired temperature.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract (and salt, if using).
- Serve, topping with marshmallows if desired.
Aside from this sugar free hot cocoa, we have plenty of other diabetes-friendly recipes that can be used as alternatives to other desserts. Check out a few of our favorites below:
- Black Bean Brownies
- Blueberry Coconut Muffins
- Cheesecake with Blackberry Compote
- Chocolate Greek Yogurt Pie with Hazelnut Crust
- Grain-Free Gingerbread Cookies
- Pumpkin Pie
- Vegan Chocolate Pudding
If you are wondering about the safety of stevia and other artificial sweeteners, take a look at this blog called Comparisons and Risks of Specific Artificial Sweeteners.
Please let us know what you think of our sugar free hot chocolate recipe in the comments section below.
Blog updated December 2022
Haley is currently an intern at Rebecca Bitzer & Associates. She is a dietetics major at the University of Maryland, College Park, class of 2021. She is the assistant to our social media director. In her free time, she enjoys training for marathons and cross country races.