Favorite Asian Restaurants and Recipes
Going out to dinner can be a fun and entertaining adventure and a great way to have more variety in your diet. Variety is one of the pillars of good nutrition. Growing up, I never experienced Asian food. As a Registered Dietitian, I am intrigued by how so many adults tend to eat primarily what they at as child growing up in their parent’s home or their current living situation without even realizing it. One of the most fun aspects of my job as a Registered Dietitian is to experience all types of foods and to be able to suggest new foods (and food combinations) to clients.
Remember variety is the spice of life. Here are some of our family favorites while dining out (or taking out) from Asian restaurants in Maryland. All of these restaurants are within about a 20-minute drive from both our Greenbelt, MD or Columbia, MD location.
Otani Japanese Restaurant:
Favorite Find in Gambrills, Maryland (it is in a shopping center that could easily be overlooked.
- The Playboy Sushi Roll that the server heats up right at your table. It is fun exciting to see this food prepared right in front of you.
- Shrimp Sushi Roll is one of my favorites.
- Seared Tuna Takati appetizer that was entirely out of my comfort zone, but I tried it with a friend who enjoys it.
Joss Café and Sushi Bar:
This restaurant is popular in Annapolis. Located on Main Steet and recently been renovated; it has lost some of its charm but it is certainly worth trying. Here are some best bites.
- Seaweed salad is the best I have ever had. It used to be fun to eat at the bar and watch the food preparation.
- Tofu Tempura is delicious and a great way to try tofu if you are not accustomed to eating vegetarian.
- Edamame is delicious way to start a meal, give it a try, even your kids will like it.
Nano’s Asian Dining:
Our Family favorite, barely a week goes by without someone mentioning, lets go to Nano’s! We actually discovered this restaurant because Joss Café was too crowded. The staff working at Nano’s are very friendly and the owner always come by to say hello. The restaurant is located on Main Street Annapolis.
- My husband’s favorite is Nano Deluxe. This is his standard order which includes a variety of sushi.
- My daughter’s favorite is a crunchy shrimp roll.
- I like to try something new each time I go to Nano’s.
Jack’s Fortune Restaurant
on Bay Ridge Road in Annapolis is our favorite neighborhood Chinese restaurant. The owners are extremely friendly. We like to go with a group of people and share a variety of dishes. We like this so much, we even order Chinese food from Jack’s at Birthday celebrations and for lunch on Christmas Day!
How to easily cook your own healthy Asian food
Remember variety being the spice of life also applies to food. How about taking a challenge to let a friend or your Registered Dietitian introduce you to a new food?
Take a look at these healthy Asian Copy Cat Recipes which are categorized by condition-friendly.
Meaning, the recipe links below will let you know which recipes are appropriate for diabetes, heart healthy, IBS, and more.
Homemade “takeout” sesame chicken recipe
Homemade “takeout” beef teriyaki
Homemade ‘takeout” Shrimp Fried Rice
If you have food sensitivities, you can make digestive friendly FODMAP friendly meals. How about a delicious recipe like Asian Sesame Salad
What could you do do be a bit more adventurous at home?
We can help guide you through food selection at restaurants and at home. Follow us on all forms of Maryland Dietitians social media for inspiration.
[contact-form-7 id=”4935″ title=”Contact form new”]
Rebecca Bitzer loves to empower Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs) and their clients. Co-author of Welcome to the Rebelution: Seven steps to the nutrition counseling practice of your dreams and Taste the Sweet Rebellion: Rebel against dieting.